Friday, February 15, 2013

Wallpaper Reflections


When we started taking off the wallpaper in the house we did a lot of research into the best methods to take it down.  We tried it all (except for vinegar, Chris hates vinegar).  The main thing that we started with was a bucket of water and Downy.  It helped soak into the wallpaper and smelled good.

Since starting the wallpaper removal I have not been able to smell regular Down without automatically thinking of wallpaper.  I started to not like the smell because it reminded me of wallpaper.

After a while we just started using hot water.  It worked just as well.  On the my last room I decided to try the Downy mixture again to see if it would help me take the paper down quicker.  It did not, but it make the house smell like laundry.

On the day I finished taking it down Chris said something profound.  That even though I don't like the smell, it would bring back a lot of memories.  The countless hours spent this year wetting the walls and stripping paper off.  The transformation of a house from a 1970's mess of wallpaper to a house that we love.  I will never forget what the house looked like.  I have kept a few pieces of wallpaper and put them in a picture frame with a few other mementos of our first year in our home.  But the smell of Downy will always bring me back to the first year we lived in our house. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment