Thursday, February 28, 2013

Do you dislike your Brass Fireplace Cover?





Then change it!
We wanted to update our fireplace and an easy way to do that is to paint the brass.



Rustoleum has a high heat paint made for grills and other things that get hot. You cannot use this in place where flames will touch the paint because it will burn off.

They also have a spray paint.  But I did not want to have to create a tent like area to spray paint or take the front of the fireplace off the wall.  Sound like too much work for me.


Luckily my mom  had some paint that she was going to use to paint scratches on a grill.

The only problem with the paint is that it is oil based.  Meaning you need to ventilate well.  If you do not the fumes from the paint will burn off in your dryer, oven and fridge.  This causes your house to smell as if you grilled inside of the house.  So I picked the warmest day I could.  I closed the registers and opened the back door.  I figured that I was not painting an entire room, just the brass on the fireplace.


Items Needed for Project

  • Rustoleum High Heat Paint
  • Paint Brush (that you can throw away or clean with mineral spirits)
  • tape (to tape the glass and brick you do not want to get painted)



There was not too much prep work involved besides taping the brick and the glass.  Since I would be putting it on with a brush I did not cover the entire glass (I figured my painting techniques have been perfect by painting our entire house).






After one coat.









After the second coat.




You could also use the spray paint version to make a more uniform job, but there was really no prep work involved doing the paint with a paint brush.







Again here is the before and after!

No comments:

Post a Comment